We believe that beauty and function go hand in hand and that it takes an entire team to make a project exceptional. We are a boutique commercial interior architecture firm and a typical day blurs the lines between the usual design and technical roles; the best designers understand and can execute a set of drawings and the star technologists have a penchant for design.
Your passions are design and creating responsible yet innovative spaces and your specialty is the ability to translate an idea into a workable solution. You have the technical know-how to develop 70%+ of drawing requirements on your own initiative and the ability to then co-ordinate with senior staff and consultants on the remainder of project requirements.
The Intermediate Designer role is the heart of our organization, providing a solid building science, FF&E and materials knowledge base and possessing an ability to collaborate with the project team to capture design intent and translating it into a comprehensive design package. The ideal candidate should possess both interior design as well as architecture experience. As an integrated design team, we believe that your knowledge in both disciplines will be an asset to projects and long-term growth within the company
You are a team member with a positive attitude who is confident, focused, responsible and enthusiastic about learning and supporting your colleagues. You can work both independently and in a team environment.
- Initiate ideas with the project team in the design process with developing ideas and production of interior architectural design and construction documents on a variety of project types including retail and office interiors
- High level space planning that is effective and code compliant
- Collaborate with the project team in producing presentation materials
- Apply for permits and coordinate with appropriate authorities having jurisdiction
- Construction-phase activities including shop drawing review, requests for information, site reviews, drawing and document updates, project record-keeping
- Thorough knowledge of the Alberta Building Code as it relates to interior renovations; other Provincial code knowledge an asset
- Ability to create detailed site measurements and furniture inventory
- Ability to work on multiple commercial interior design projects simultaneously
- Coordinate with outside project consultants such as lighting, mechanical, electrical, structural, furniture, signage, etc. as necessary to complete a well-coordinated project
- Sourcing and documenting FF&E and interior architectural finishes and maintaining our interior library
- Ability to manage priorities and conflicting deadlines when working on multiple projects
- Assemble, circulate, and file project documents
- Available for occasional out of town travel (typically day trips, but could be overnight)
- Degree or diploma in Interior Design, Architecture or Architectural Technology from an accredited program
- Minimum of 5 years (after graduation) of Canadian industry experience; preferably in a small firm
- Proven ability using the current industry versions of AutoCAD, SketchUp, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite
- Must have a valid drivers license
If the above sounds like you, please submit your resume and a sampling of your favourite projects (drawings/renderings/photos with a description of the role that you played in each; maximum 10MB total) along with a short cover letter highlighting your unique talents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only well qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.